A GUIDE TO TYPES OF MINIMALIST WEDDING DRESSES
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020 Wedding IDEAS, INSPIRATION AND INSIDER TIPS
A GUIDE TO TYPES OF MINIMALIST WEDDING DRESSES
If you’re searching high and low for a wedding dress that will fit your classic style, we’ve got the perfect gowns for you.
With a simple wedding dress the beauty in the silhouette and fabric are so important and with fabrics ranging from clean crepe fabrics to lavish mikado, we’ve gathered all our favorite minimalist wedding dresses that will make walking down the aisle as easy as saying “I do” to your soulmate. For the bride that loves her basics and wants something a little less elaborate, read along as we guide you into finding the perfect minimal dress for you!
You might have a general idea of what type of simple wedding you are looking for, but before you have your heart set on something specific, it’s important to consider a few things, to help when wedding dress shopping during Covid.
Simple Wedding Dress: Things to ConsiderWedding Seasons:
- Winter: If you are planning a winter wedding, satin is a great choice. The thicker weight in the fabric for satin makes it suitable for the colder weather and with this fabrics subtle sheen it creates a luxurious look. Mikado is also a great choice for the cooler season, as the rich mikado style exudes a more formal, traditional wedding day bridal look.
- Spring and Summer: The lightweight Chiffon fabric is perfect for Summer and Spring weddings especially if you are planning an outdoor wedding. Chiffon is comfortable to wear during hotter weather due to its airy structure and is the perfect fit for an ethereal or bohohemian bride.
- Multi- season: A crepe fabric is versatile and makes it the perfect choice for any setting. Whether you get married indoor or outdoors, a crepe wedding dress will be fit for any weather.
A bustle isn’t just for wedding gowns with ornate train details. There are a lot of different types of bustles and if your wedding gown isn’t short or tea length you will need hooks, ties, or buttons sewn into your wedding dress train so that your gown won’t drag across the floor and can be ready for dancing all night long with your loved ones around! We picked our favorites bustle types for a simple wedding dress, but consult with your seamstress to see what your options are to get the perfect look!
- American Bustle: Also known as the “over-bustle” as it lifts the train and is secured over the back of the gown. A more simple type of bustle for the seamstress to create as it gives a cascading feel in the back of your gown and might be a great fit to add some detail to your simple gown as you can add one.
- French Bustle: Known to be called “under-bustle,” this type is the opposite of the American as the fold is created under itself instead of over. The end result is a two layered hem that creates a folded design in the back.
- Ballroom Bustle: The most complicated and expensive option as this style completely hides the train without changing the look of the dress. Several points are under the dress for the train to attach resulting in an untouched floor-length gown.
With a modern and clean design finding a flattering silhouette is important.
- Trumpet or Mermaid Wedding Dresses are both form-fitting silhouettes and look best on someone with an hourglass shape. Crepe and satin fabrics are great for this silhouette and the difference between the two is the mermaid skirt flares at or below the knees. A trumpet wedding dress flares outward starting at the mid-thigh and is less restricting.
- A-line or Ball Gown Wedding Dresses are the perfect fit for a mikado or satin fabric due to fullness of the silhouette. Ball gowns have fuller skirts and give off a more princess vibe and are great for pear shaped or slender brides while A-line silhouettes are universally flattering and great for petite brides as the volume is just enough while creating the illusion of height.
Be sure to try on these options to see which silhouette would be the most flattering your body type!
Types of Minimalist Wedding Dress Fabric
With simple and classic designs the focus is really on the beauty of the fabric. We’ve listed our favorite fabrics for simple wedding dresses to help you find which one is the right one for you.
Crepe Back Satin Wedding Dresses
Starting with one of our favorite fabrics, with its soft, and smooth slightly textured or crinkled appearance, crepe is great for accentuating curves and works well with minimalist designs. We have three different options:crepe back satin, stretch crepe back satin, and a regal crepe.
Light and crisp this crepe back satin fabric runs along a bride’s body and gives her a shape that will make her partner swoon the moment they lock eyes. Style T905 is an A-line crepe back satin gown that is fitted along the bodice with a soft sweetheart neckline and thin straps that sit delicately on your shoulders, perfect if you’re planning an outdoor wedding during the summer where you’ll want something comfy but elegant simultaneously. With such a sleek and simple front, the back shows off your sun-kissed skin with its deep illusion V-shaped back, adding just enough statement to the gown. Finishing off with a simple sweep train, this gown balances out the sophistication with traditional bridal details that every bride will love.
Stretch crepe back satin offers a little extra room with having a little more of a slight stretch in the fabric, perfect for the bride that wants to be comfortable on her wedding day. Bold and elegant Style T881, is a minimalist crepe mermaid wedding dress that features an eye catching illusion cutout back. With the crepe fabric having a shiny touch to it, the fabric on this gown speaks for itself! A bride that loves a contemporary look with simple details will love the sleek and smooth fit and deep sweetheart neckline that pairs with an illusion inset for that subtle sexy detail.
Compared to the crepe back satin and stretch crepe back satin, this fabric is thicker and offers more structure and fit for your body. For a sultry regal style, slip into Style T926 from Moonlight Tango. Sensual and sleek, this sexy regal crepe mermaid wedding dress will fit into your body like a dream. Show off your sultry side with its plunging sweetheart neckline with illusion corset bodice details. This beauty includes beaded detachable cap sleeves, perfect for a bride that wants both a minimal and glamorous style. Whether you’re planning a luxurious summer wedding or a fall vintage ceremony, this gown will give you the look of two on your big day!
Chiffon Bridal Gowns
For a beach side or outdoor wedding, the lightweight feel of chiffon is summer wedding ready. It’s soft and flowy fabric gives off an ethereal bridal look that will make you feel delicate and princess-like.
A picture perfect gown, this chiffon beach wedding dress, Style T923 includes dainty and glamorous details that minimalist brides will love. This A-line wedding dress includes a trendy chiffon skirt with cascade draping that gives this gown a simplistic but charming flair. Simple isn’t boring as this gown has the wow factor with its thin straps that lead down to a crisscross back and tie bow creating a relaxed, carefree look for the most laid-back bride.
A gown equally as soft and romantic, Style T906 is a romantic cap sleeve chiffon wedding dress that will have you feeling as light as a feather. This A-line silhouette is paired with a deep sweetheart neckline with an illusion inset and cap sleeves that lead down to a deep v-back giving you enough coverage without being too modest. Minimal brides will love the lightweight and airy chiffon skirt as well as the soft sequin details that make this gown wedding ready.
Mikado Wedding Dresses
Mikado fabric is a classic choice for the bride with its heavier thread that gives a gown structure and while still being cool and modern.
Structured and sophisticated, Moonlight Tango style T913 is a square neck mikado wedding dress that radiates wedding day chic the moment you lay eyes on it. The square neckline highlights your face while the straps lead down the back into a wow worthy illusion bateau neck with buttons trailing from top to bottom. The mikado fabric adds an extra richness to the gown, and playful side pockets add a relaxing finishing touch.
Satin Wedding Dresses
A timeless fabric known for its rich and smooth texture and soft shine, satin wedding dresses give a traditional bridal look that has elegance included. Moonlight Tango style T921 is a classic sweetheart satin wedding dress that exudes elegance the moment you step into this gown. The flattering full A-line skirt paired with the subtle sheen will only highlight a bride to be’s best assets’. The surplice sweetheart and ruching on the bodice makes for a flattering fit. The deep v-shaped back creates a picture perfect detail with buttons trailing down to the sweep train. The pockets at the skirt finish this look and make this gown perfect for a micro wedding, this gown will give you a contemporary twist to your minimalist wedding day look!
If you’re searching for something a little more form fitting and flattering, Moonlight Tango T862 will shape your body into a sexy hourglass silhouette. This simple satin mermaid wedding dress is delightfully minimalist and will have high-class details that will show off your stunning curves. The sweetheart neckline is paired with illusion straps that transition into an illusion keyhole back that makes this dress both sexy and wow worthy.
After reading this blog, we hope that you see the depth in choices and details that go into minimalist wedding gowns. To keep your options open, be sure to try on several fabrics and silhouettes to see which one fits your style best. So find your local Moonlight retailer and get ready to say YES to the dress!